A NEW LOOK CBD EMERGING27 June 2017
A new-look CBD is emerging within our construction sites with new paving installed around the light rail tracks in Zone 2, George Street between Alfred and Grosvenor Streets, and in Zone 5, George Street between King and Market Streets.
With the paving now in place, we are starting to see how the new pedestrian zone on George Street between Hunter and Bathurst Streets will look when the light rail is up and running. Track installation is forging ahead in the CBD with all track now in place in Zone 2, George Street between Alfred and Grosvenor Streets, and sections of track now in place in Zones 3, 5, 6, 7, 8 and 9 in the CBD. Over 7 km of track has now been installed, more than a quarter of the total light rail alignment.
A new construction site was established in Zone 12, Rawson Place, on 18 June. This followed preparatory work which saw the track slab installed at the intersection of Pitt Street, Eddy Avenue and Rawson Place.
Construction will ramp up in Zone 1, Circular Quay, from 7 July. The Vivid Festival has now wrapped up for another year, allowing the existing construction site in Circular Quay to be extended along Alfred Street between Loftus and George Streets and some adjacent footpaths.
With track in place and paving in progress in Zone 2, traffic will be returned to this zone from 7 July so that work can ramp up in Circular Quay. This will ensure vehicle access to The Rocks is maintained at all times during construction. The following traffic changes will be in place:
- Alfred Street will be closed to traffic between Loftus Street and George Street.
- Loftus Street will be closed to general traffic between Reiby Place and Alfred Street.
- Access to Pitt Street north of Bridge Street will be via Loftus Street and Reiby Place.
- One lane southbound will be reopened on George Street between Alfred Street and Grosvenor Street.
- One lane northbound will be reopened on George Street between Grosvenor Street and Alfred Street.
For the latest updates and to plan your journey, please visit Live Traffic or call the Traffic Information Line on 132 701.